Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Michael Wesch: A Vision of Students Today

This video is a good represintation of college life in the 21st century I can remember my first semester in college I bought all the books that were needed, or at least i thought they were needed, and then i get in some of the classes and don't even so much as open the book. I was really angry I spent good money on those books only to sell them back to the book store for less than half of what I paid for them. I also spend probably 2 to 3 hours a day on the internet and I might read three books a year but the web pages are off the chart. I also have seen the one where the girl has the paper that said the person that sits beside me paid for the class and never comes I myself have been that person. There is many teachers and profesors that don't even try to use technology in their teaching and that is a problem just look at some of the statistics in this video technology is the way to connect with the students you are teaching. Think about it if you can't connect with your students then you can't teach them and if you can't teach them then you are in the wrong profession . Technology is not the only thing you need to use in teaching but if you just ignored it all together then you are doing yourself and your students a grave injustice.

I myself will try to do the best I can to incorperate technology and books and chalk boards into my teaching process. I remember one of the first English classes I took in college was at a community college and all our papers had to be hand written in class and turned in at the end of the class period we could not use computers or take them home to write them on our home computer. This blew my mind I was in a college class and couldn't use a computer to write a paper are you kidding me I was able to do that at a small private school that I went to in high school. I think the only thing I would add to the video was maybe instead of having them hold up pieces of paper maybe have all of them have laptops to send the message that we are in a technilogical world and it is here to stay it is not a fad it is the norm.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! Technology should be included in teaching/ lectures. It not only involves the student with something other than the traditional worksheet, but also makes sure that they are challenged. Students are interested in technology, so if you include it in your lessons, they will be more willing to learn and participate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ryan, my name is Heather and I’m in class F. I agree that teachers today and future teachers should not just teach but be learners as well. I’m a special education major and I was able to be in several special education classes since starting school and none of those classes used any type of technology. Just think of the possibility that awaits these students.

    ReplyDelete